the weekend that was

It’s been a crazy weekend. Just busy busy busy. From house chores to kitchen teas, to getting up at 2am to run a 25km race at 5am, I most definitely need a weekend to recover from my weekend!

To start off with, I got out of bed at 05h20 on Saturday morning, with the sole intent of doing all of the household chores, so that I could do the 5km Shongweni Parkrun at 08h00. Oh, I did do 1 load of washing on Friday night, just to help. I started the washing machine (I had prepped it all the night before) and then went into the kitchen, and tidied up that disaster. This tidying up episode also incorporated me rewashing about 80% of the dishes that the husband had washed the night before. When I finished the dishes, the 2nd load of washing was done, so I removed the clothes from the machine, and put in load number 3. Whilst that was running, I hung up load number 2. It started raining. Again. I then decided not to go to the Parkrun, as I didn’t fancy getting all muddy. The rain lasted 10 minutes. By then it was too late to go. *Sigh* After hanging up load number 3 undercover due to the weather not knowing what the hell it was doing, I swept and mopped the house, as our vacuum cleaner broke. The motor itself was fine, but the base of the vacuum was outside, and during the heavy winds on Thursday night, it blew off the shelf and shattered. The husband had glued it back together, but as he was telling me to be careful with the base, I gripped it and the piece that connects the pipe to the base, broke off in my hand. That’s when I decided to sweep, as the husband had his hands in the marine tank at the time, and I just wanted to get it done. I eventually sat down at about 9am, had breakfast, and then vegged. Saturday was also my dear friend Natalie’s kitchen tea, so at 12pm I started getting ready, and was outside her house by 1:30pm. The tea started at 2pm, but as I couldn’t see anyone, I sat in my car for almost 20 minutes waiting for any signs of life. I am such a wuss sometimes!

The bride-to-be
The bride-to-be
As I didn’t have a kitchen tea, I decided to live vicariously through Natalie, which resulted in the poor woman having a tray of jelly shots (more like vodka shots ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) during the fun and games. If she answered the question wrong, or didn’t guess the present or giftee correctly, guaranteed I was the first one yelling out SHOT!!! It was a fantastic afternoon; I had a little too much punch / champagne & orange juice and I overindulged on the lemon meringue pie and peppermint crisp tart, but it was all just so divine!
I decided not to go out with the girls after the tea, as I had an early start on Sunday, for the PDAC 25km road race that I had entered.

The furthest distance I’d ever run before yesterday, was 21.2km last October. I ran a 21.1km last weekend, and because that went pretty well, I got it into my head that I could run the 25km in 3 hours. It was, after all, just 3.5km more than my previous longest distance. Well, yesterday I have come to the following conclusions; my body is not yet conditioned enough to run a 1/2 marathon every weekend, and my joints are shot. Especially my right ankle and knee joints, ESPECIALLY my right knee. The race itself was good; it was a stunning route, however very hilly, mainly down-hilly (terrible English – whatever). As I’m not very fast on the flats and uphills, I pushed myself on the first few downhills. In doing so, my right knee is about to give up on me. Well that’s certainly how it feels today ๐Ÿ˜ฆ I don’t visit the doctor very often; if I get sick I let my body try and fight it, and only if I can’t get out of bed, or I can’t see because of the headache etc, do I do to the doctor. I work through pain; I regard myself as having a very high pain threshold, so when I phoned the doctor’s rooms earlier to make an appointment for this afternoon for my knee, please understand that I am really in a lot of pain. Even sitting at my desk is agony, as I cannot get my knee into a comfortable position.

PDAC 25km completed!
PDAC 25km completed!
I had my foot resting on the base of my chair earlier, and it slipped off, resulting in my toes hitting the floor, and the pain that shot up my knee was so intense, that I had tears in my eyes! That doesn’t happen people! Anyway, because of this ‘injury’ I am very doubtful of my participation in the Pietermaritzburg City Marathon taking place on the 23rd of February, which I wanted to be my Comrades Marathon qualifier. 4 weeks to go, and my knee feels like this? Yeah, I know. It’s worrying as well, as my knee is crunching / grinding / clicking whenever I walk up the stairs, and I cannot put all of my weight on it, and a friend that had very similar symptoms, ended up having surgery on her knee, and she couldn’t train for 2 months! 2 months people; I can’t even imagine! I know that I’m thinking the worst, but that’s who I am ๐Ÿ˜ฆ But I did complete yesterday’s race; my unofficial time was 3hr30min37sec (still waiting for the results to go up on their website) and my goal was 3hrs. I know that I could have done it, but I just wasn’t ready, and my body has now shown me that ๐Ÿ˜ฆ Anyway, let’s see what the doctor says this afternoon. Hopefully it’s just a strain, but I think I’ve at least torn ligaments.

A silver lining, is that my aunt in the UK, spoilt me and sent me some money so that I could get my hair cut and treated, and honestly, not much beats a new hair do ๐Ÿ™‚ I am so grateful; it was getting to a point where I was going to take the shaver to my hair. Again. For the 3rd time.

The new 'do'
The new ‘do’
I’m quite happy-go-lucky with my hair; it’s hair and it will grow back (well, most times ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) so when I told my hairdresser to CUT IT OFF, the look of shock on her face was priceless! But in the end, I convinced her to take a good 20cm off, and it feels awesome! I could have gone a bit shorter, but I can at least still tie it up, and that’s the main thing for me, as I don’t have bad hair days; I have lazy hair days! My hair isn’t down often, and that’s why only 2 people at work noticed my hair change, as it was normally always in a ponytail or bun.

So that’s enough about me and my weekend; hope your weekend treated you well.


P.S.: Don’t drink the night before a road race. Just don’t… Between the constant reflux and awful tummy issues, it made for an interesting first 10km of the race!


One Reply to “the weekend that was”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s